Guide to Filing an Insurance Claim by Benchmark Home Improvements. Assessing the damage and trying to get back on your feet can be overwhelming. Roof damage remains the number 1 claim among homeowners affected by the hurricane. Here are a few simple steps you should take to ensure a smooth and timely claims process.
1. Contact your insurance company right away and make sure you have your policy number available. You can call your personal agent or dial the company’s 800 number to speak to someone about your particular situation. But if wait times are long, many companies allow you to submit a claim online or by using a mobile app; be sure to follow up with a phone call if you haven’t heard back within 24 hours.
2. Don’t wait for an insurance adjuster to come out before you begin to pick up the pieces. If it’s safe for you, start to make temporary repairs where you see damage to ensure the problem doesn’t get worse. For example, if there is a gaping hole in your roof, use a tarp to cover the opening to avoid further damage. Save any receipts for materials & supplies needed for such repairs.
3. Grab a pen and paper and start to jot down a list of potential issues. Taking inventory of your loss will be helpful for the insurance adjuster once he or she visits your home.
4. Grab a camera. While your adjuster will also take photographs of the damage, it never hurts to have pictures on file for your own records.
5. Start a new file for this particular claim. Keep paperwork organized and log a running record of any phone conversations you have with your insurance company. Mark the date, time, and the name of the person you spoke with over the phone.
6. Stay on top of your claim by checking in with your insurance company or adjuster every few days. Ask about the status of your claim and when you might expect a payment. While no two claims are the same, and wait times can vary based on the complexity of the claim, you deserve answers so you can move forward.
While some checks might arrive within the month, others could take up to 3 months to be sent. Ask your agent if your insurance company offers the option of direct deposit. This can speed up the process by up to 10 days. Remember that once the money arrives, for some banks an out of state check can take several days to clear. Direct deposit could be the most efficient route to getting your roof and your home restored.
If you would like to learn more about the Guide to Filing an Insurance Claim by Benchmark Home Improvements, please e-mail us today. Along with roofing, we offer Kitchen Cabinet Refacing, Basement Finishing systems and more. We serve homeowners in Exeter, Stratham, Epping, Brentwood, Hampton, Manchester, Nashua and other surrounding cities.
We’re fully licensed and insured, and our installation professionals have an average of 15 years of industry experience. When you turn to Benchmark Home Improvements for your roofing needs, you can rest assured that you’re doing business with one of the most reputable and experienced home re-modelers in the area. In fact, we’re so confident in the quality of our work, we include a labor warranty on the installation we perform.